After an agonizing three months, baseball is finally back. I feel like I’ve aged about 20 years waiting for them to figure it out, and while they’ve damaged the game in the process, at least they pulled it together before it was too late.
Now for the gear… Here’s a refresher from the editor on what you may need (want) this year and a reminder that you can become THE GOAT—singular—with far less:
Saw a YouTube comment that struck me after watching this:
Motto for 2020: Be like Mo.
2020 Baseball Gear Required Reading
These articles are all great guides for various items you might need, with hundreds of photos/products to browse:
- Cleat Buying Guide 2020
- Glove Guide: 4 Things to Consider When Buying a New Glove
- Glove Length Guide
- Ballin’ On a Budget 2020: 12 Deals on Premium Gloves, Bats, Cleats, Batting Gloves
- 20 Opening Day Items We Wanted to See | Crawford PE’s, Mookie, Carp, Salvy
- Spring Looks: Machado, Tatis, Cano, Bregman
- 7 Sexiest Gloves (so far)
More in-depth gear guides:
Below is a distilled version of the info you need…
Note: WPW may be compensated for links provided. Please consider buying from our links as they are the lifeblood of our platform. We cannot exist without your support. Thank you. -Mike, The Founder
If you don’t have time for the full 2020 cleat guide, here’s our recommendations:
UNDER $100 / IN THE MLB
Update: Check these Alpha Huarache Elite 3s (shoutout @jake_ on IG for the heads up on them)….
These are the newest cleats on the market — get ’em at Dick’s for $90.
TOP OF THE LINE
- Jordan 1 Retros (MLB guys are all over these)
- New Balance’s FuelCell COMPv2 (glass fiber-infused TPU spikes)
- Force Zoom Trout 6
- Adidas’ Icon V
Top 10 Most Popular Gloves on WhatProsWear.com in 2020
- Troy Tulowitzki‘s Rawlings 11.5″ PROTT2 | Available in two different colorways (dark tan/light tan and croc skin/mahogany)
- Anthony Rendon‘s Rawlings 11.5″ PRODJ2 | Available at Rawlings.com for $360
- Francisco Lindor‘s Rawlings 11.75″ PROS205-2KB | His model has been renamed the PROFL12 on Rawlings.com for $360
- Manny Machado‘s Rawlings 12.25″ PRONP7 | Available at Rawlings.com for $360
- Manny Machado‘s Rawlings 12″ PRONP6 | Available at Rawlings.com for $360
- Matt Chapman‘s Wilson 11.75″ A2K 1787 | Available at Dick’s for $360
- Cody Bellinger‘s Rawlings 13″ PRO442 | Similar available at Rawlings.com for $360
- Javy Baez‘ SSK Ikigai H-Web | Shop SSK’s Baez page
- Andrelton Simmons‘ 11.5″ Mizuno GMP400 | Available in dark tan at Mizuno.com for $600
- Derek Jeter‘s 11.5″ Rawlings PRODJ2 | Closest alternative available at Rawlings.com for $360
First Base: Matt Olson | PROSDCT available at Rawlings for $460
Catcher: Gary Sanchez | 32.5″ Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROGS24-JB, available from Rawlings.com for $360
Pitcher: Marcus Stroman | 12″ PRO206F for $360 on Rawlings.com
Infield: Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. | $280 at Closeoutbats.com
That article will get you to your bat model, then find good wood at one of our partners. Often times, if you tell the manufacturer your desired model, they will direct you to the corresponding bat that they offer:
Franklin’s custom builder is still the leader in the category.
The tie-dyed Lindors (above) are available, too!
These ‘murica options are available for a great price ($30).
More options at Dick’s.
The fastest growing protective gear in MLB comes from G-Form.
If you have any questions, please comment. We’ll respond promptly.